Sunday, July 3, 2011

Dig a hole

If you want something done, dig it yourself?
A hole lot of scanning...


So after spending a year in the spare room, the slide scanner that my mother let me borrow along with twelve 120-slide-per-reels of the family's history from my baby hood to brother's marriage on celluloid- 28 years...was dug out. And so I was into digging a deep hole for myself one way and another.

12 reels- roughly one thousand four hundred and forty slides to remove and place in a holder three at a time, scan, and put back. Then transfer to the hard drive 12 at a time, trying to label them with at least a Year and a Month, and maybe a commentary...

Unfortunately, I do not have the state of the art slide projector and when replacing the slides in the reel, are they going in properly? The first few I pulled out were this way or that, labels facing different directions. The Agfa slides have some wording, "Look through from this side, Dummy". I had to find a landmark or a car so that the usual way of mounting the bastards was the same for all the different companies, like Kodak and Acme... Lucky for me, some landmarks and the driver's side has not changed in fifty years...

Are they supposed to go in upside down? Facing back or forward?
I know that projecting images on celluloid is a tricky game, and I believe I may have to go back over four reels and re-position the damn things. It is hard to believe, but loving mum did not reveal what I should do- "obviously?"

I may have to pay more attention (again?!) to the next reel I pull out and judge, and go back to the others...


No comments:

Post a Comment