I want to start a family favourite recipes collection. My marriage to Tarn was a delight as far as food goes. And this is way to honour her memory and recipes! Our cholesterol count was great. One time her's was higher which was hilarious, because Oil Rig food is not supposed to be that healthy! I welcome a contribution, as the first post will be recipes that have stirred me the last fortnight and share, inspired by three people.
The last few years the larger clan has had Easter Gatherings, and one of my many cousins has supplied a great dip that is to be known as Chrissie's Awesome Dip.
The Downunder Cajun posted a great sounding recipe this week, Tacos, done in a slow cooking style.
Sounded scrumptious, but I did not have a slow cooking pot
... But! Aldi had a special on them this week. Coincidence? Thirty bucks was cheap, I know, but the few things purchased there that have failed, failed to foil me from buying the cooker after reading The Cajuns Post.View Blog
or mine, really
- Avocado, ripe or nearly
- Spring onion or small onion or red onion
- medium to large tomatoe
- 200 gm [light] sour cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Lemon juice, or Lime! Or squeeze the lot in!
- dash Tobasco sauce
- Dash Sweet Chilli Sauce or chilli powder to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Cumin or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper or more to taste
- Mash avocado roughly, keeping the seed to put in after mixing all up to help keep longer,
- Dice up the tomato and onion and mix in with the avocado,
- Mix in the juice- not only tasty but keeps it from going brown too quick,
- Stir in the sour cream,
- Mix in the seasoners- and keep tasting to get the hotness required,
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for a little while before serving.
Slow Cooker Tacos
- chuck roast
- taco shells,
- taco seasoning [Old El Paso taco kit which contains both the shells and taco seasoning]
- 1/2 cup water or beef stock- adds a nice flavor.
- a slow cooker.
- dice up the onion and put it in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- place roast on top of the onions, stock or water over it all.
- pour in packet of taco seasoning blend.
- put the lid on, turn it to low, and go about your day.
- The taco meat needs at least 8 hours on low in the slow cooker.